The Solar System
Our Solar System consists of a sun, eight planets and their satellites and many asteroids, meteors, and comets.
The terrestrial planets : These planets are closer to the sun and they have rocky surfaces. Mercury, Venus, earth and mars are terrestrial planets or inner planets.
The Jovian planets : These planets are gaseous in nature and larger in size. They are Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune.
- It is the smallest planet in the solar system.
- Closest planet to the sun.
- It has no moons
- It is the hottest and brightest planet in the solar system
- It is also known as the morning and evening Star, earth’s twin.
- It has no satellites.
- Venus is a very hot planet.
- Rotates clockwise on its axis.
- Earth is the largest planet in terrestrial planets and fifth largest in the solar system.
- It is known as the Blue planet.
- It has one moon (lunar).
- Mars has two moons: phones and demos.
- It is known as the Red planet.
- Largest planet in the solar system.
- Jupiter has 67 satellites, gaynamade is the largest satellite in the solar system.
- Saturn has bright rings which are made up of ice and dust particles.
- It has 62 moons, titan is the largest satellite of Saturn.
- Uranus has 27 satellites.
- It appears in greenish colour.
- It was discovered by sir William Hersiel.
- Venus and Uranus rotate clockwise. ( East to West )
- It is an extremely cold planet.
- Last planet in the solar system.
- Neptune has 18 moons.
- It is surrounded by methane rings.
- It is a dwarf planet.
- In 2006, the international astronomical union declared that Pluto would no longer remain a planet.
The Sun :
- The Sun is 150 million kms away from the earth.
- The surface of the sun is called a photosphere.
- Outer layer of the sun is made up of a thin hot gas called corona.
- Hydrogen converts to helium duce to nuclear fusion within the sun releasing a large amount of heat and light.
- Light takes 8.5 seconds to reach earth from the sun.
- Asteroids are minor planets. The Asteroid belt is situated between Mars and Jupiter. Ceres is the largest asteroid in the solar system.
- Meteors are shooting stars. When the meteors land on the earth ‘s surface, they are called meteorites. Lunar lake in Maharashtra was created by a meteorite. Hoba is the largest meteorite on earth.
- Group of stars is called Galaxy. Group of galaxies is called a cluster.
- Nearest galaxy to the earth is Andromeda.
- Nebula is a cloud of gas and dust in space. Nebula turns into a star.
- The star alpha Centauri (proxima Centauri) is the nearest Star to the solar system.
- A light year is the distance. Light travels in one year at the speed of 300,000 km per second.
- To identify the Stars, astronomers divided the sky into constellations.
The solar system notes pdf – Download
Read also :